School is out! What do we do with our kiddos this summer without local camps, VBS, and the other group activities we are so used to? We want to keep them active and learning, but by this point in time, our collective creativity may be running low — or is it just me?
Don’t worry RGV Moms, the RGV has you covered! We’ve rounded up a great listing of LOCAL businesses and organizations that are offering some great digital content to keep your kiddos engaged and entertained.
Back in March, RGV Moms put together a listing of online resources from all across the web. Many of those links are still available and free!
Now, on to all that the Valley has to offer – and it’s a LOT!
Local RGV Digital Resource Guide
McAllen Public Libary
- KIDS: A variety of great programming is available to view on the MPL Kids Facebook Page. Events include: Mindfulness Monday, Artsy Tuesday, Workout Wednesday, Thursday STEAMworks, Friday Craft Fun, and Storytime Anytime.
- TEENS: Virtual programming at 3:00 pm on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday available on the MPL Teens Facebook Page. Events include: DIY Crafts, Boredom Fighters, E-Book Talks and STEAM Saturdays.
- EVERYONE: McAllen Public Library Online Resource Listing
- Virtual Summer Reading Program kicks off June 1. Check the MPL Kids Facebook Page for more information.
Dustin M. Sekula Memorial Library (Edinburg)
- Online Resource Listing for children, teens, and adults
- Virtual programming (i.e. crafts, storytime) available via the Libary Facebook Page.
- Summer Reading Program registration now available!
Brownsville Public Library System
- Bilingual read-alouds and storytime via their YouTube channel.
- Announcements and links to resources also available on the Brownsville Public Libary System Facebook Page.
City of Pharr Parks and Recreation
- Ballet, cheer, dance and taekwondo classes available via Zoom. Call Pharr Parks and Recreation at (956) 402-4550 for more information or to sign up, or register online at www.pharrparks.com.
- Virtual programming is also available via the City of Pharr Facebook page.
City of McAllen Parks and Recreation
- UNPLUGGED: video guides to at-home activities via social media (@McAllenParks) or their YouTube channel every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 3:00 pm (i.e. carts and crafts, couch to 5K, folklorico dancing, guitar lessons, etc.)
- E-SPORTS: Join the City of McAllen Parks and Recreation‘s brand new e-sports league via the Mission Control app.
- IN-PERSON ACTIVITIES: Limited spaces available for in-person camps and activities at Community Centers, Quinta Mazatlan and more. Registration open June 1.
Boys and Girls Club of McAllen
- Virtual Programming (i.e. workouts, activities, nutritional information, recipes, etc.) available via the Boys and Girls Club of McAllen Facebook page and their YouTube channel.
Gladys Porter Zoo
- Daily videos from their zookeepers highlighting different animals and what it takes to care for them, as well as virtual tours of different areas of the zoo via the Gladys Porter Zoo Facebook Page
Children’s Museum of Brownsville
- Virtual Programming (i.e. crafts, experiments) available via the Children’s Museum of Brownsville Facebook Page.
Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center
- Informational videos on birds and their migration patterns via the Quinta Mazatlan Facebook Page.
- Limited spaces for in-person events can also be found in the McAllen Parks and Recreation Summer 2020 Guide.
- Virtual arts and science programming available via the IMAS Facebook Page. Weekly content includes Toddler Tuesday and Workshop Wednesday.
- Operation Imagination Virtual Summer Camp: FREE Content from IMAS Educators each weekday in June. A weekly kit ($40) is available for purchase, which includes supplies for 19 hands-on lessons and access to live webinars sessions with IMAS Educators each camp day.
Have a great local resource that we missed? Comment below and we’ll get it added in! And don’t forget our listing of online resources from all across the web. RGV Moms, we’ve got your back!